Author Topic: summer of PUNK  (Read 2245 times)

V

summer of PUNK
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:45:14 AM »

this required its own thread somehow.  IT JUST DID.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
Re: summer of PUNK
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
If they're doing something big with Punk that may mean I need to start watching wrestling again...

*goes on WWE*

...Kelly Kelly is Bratz Champion? Fuck that mischief.

Blitzkrieger

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Yeah, I've read something about Punk leaving the WWE not too long ago, and I think it's mainly due to the character direction—and burnout—and he's probably not coming back anytime soon.

Nor not coming back at all.

Tim

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
Interesting that he did that deliberately.  Wonder what the purpose is, or if there is one for it.

V

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
it seems like restating it word for word would have a purpose...

my best guess thus far... maybe it's a hint to the observant that what's in the dirtsheets is a fat lot o' bull and this is a storyline?  seems heretical in wrestling to hint that, but anybody who'd recognize it would also know this is a storyline that they wouldn't want to miss.  i know it makes me want to tune in more.

then again, as soon as he started this speech, i disposed of any theory i had around the dirtsheet reports Jeremy cited being credible.  i mean, might there be truth to it?  sure.  this could just be him recycling his last end-run in a promotion because it was good.  or, he could stay and it's a work.  be VERY skeptical of dirtsheets.  i've watched dirtsheets take something that was an idle maybe and turn it into fact.  i've watched dirtsheets make up bunk bullshit to get site hits that had the company looking at each other with WTF expressions.  i've seen boys working specific rookie wrestlers for the sake of working the dirtsheets more persuasively.  70% of what they report is either bullshit or snowballed/skewed to a point where it portrays the reality in an inaccurate, funhouse-mirror way.  and that was tl;dr, i know.  i know on some level i don't even have to tell you that.  if you're sticking around a place like this, you pretty well already know.

as for Kelly-Kelly... all i can say is i hate the Bellas even more than her.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:48:34 PM by Kore »

V

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
Update.  ROH is going around YouTube purging any Summer of Punk property it can find.

Was glad to see WWE doing this storyline with him, now I’m… :S

I knew the whole thing was his idea, but you’d think they’d be happy that six years later new people are looking into their stuff to see what this was all about.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
To be fair, dirtsheets often report true things - in the same way that if you throw eight hundred balls at a target painted on a barn wall, several of them will hit.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:04:53 AM »
Someone on another fed posted up Punk's promo last night.

To borrow a phrase from Kore: HOLY SHITBALLS.

For real this time, I might actually need to start watching RAW.

V

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »
yep.  this is why wrestling is at its best live.  you COULD NOT have done that on a pretaped show and pulled it off.  people use the anything-can-happen phrase too much, but...

you know what the best part of it was?

when you bring it up to people, the answer to "was that real?!" is-- pretty much across the board-- "i really don't give a shit if it's real".

which is the ground wrestling needs to entertain on.  it needed a big breath of believability, relevancy, but it doesn't need to try to compete with UFC... here you go.  in one promo, he pretty much looked dead at the camera, looked the fans in the eye through it, waved at us all, and proceeded to NOT insult our intelligence.  and it knocked all our socks off.

question is now... how do you keep the ball rolling. 

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:13:27 AM »
you know what the best part of it was?

when you bring it up to people, the answer to "was that real?!" is-- pretty much across the board-- "i really don't give a shit if it's real".

This, so, so much. Now, I don't believe for a second that was a shoot. His mic would have been cut off instantly and, after watching a second time, it has Triple H's fingerprints all over it. But I do not care even one bit. If wrestling tries to compete with MMA on MMA's terms, wrestling will lose. I watch wrestling to see people who are as much performers as athletes, telling stories and putting on displays which I know full well aren't 'real' but show you spectacles MMA can't touch in its dreams.

That, right there? That was it.

Not shitting on MMA btw. I like MMA. What I'm shitting on is the idea that wrestling needs to be as realistic as possible.

Punk getting to do that promo wasn't realistic in the slightest, but that doesn't matter: it was believable, which is very different. I worked in theatre for years, and that promo was pure theatre. It blew me away like no shoot ever could.

Tim

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
It was obviously a worked shoot or the second that he went off script they would have cut his mic, but like you say, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

Hell, it's BETTER that it's a work, because it means for once the WWE is paying attention and giving us something we can actually chew on without vomiting.

Now the only question is whether or not this is Punk's exit storyline or if he was never leaving at all.

V

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
Let me take this opportunity to quote Mr. Brandon Stroud, who's quickly become my favorite internet rasslin' writer, for those of you who think WWE have wet-turded this angle.

I could explain it, but it'd basically be the same thing and I'm lazy and shit and he rarely writes anything that doesn't mirror my own thoughts.

For those of you who are nudging your friends or leaving closed-eyes, nose-up comments on YouTube, “Cult of Personality” is the theme CM Punk used after he won the Ring of Honor World Championship on his last night in the company. It “fits” him. People saying Cult of Personality doesn’t “fit” him are weird. Like, do you think Killswitch Engage is “punk music”? It fits him because it’s explaining to you exactly what he’s doing — he’s drawing you in with his unstoppable charisma and personality, then using it to tell you whatever he wants, which makes you do whatever he wants you to do. It made me do one of those prolonged, dramatic gasps when it kicked in on Raw. The life of blonde hair and basketball shorts CM Punk flashed before my eyes, and just like the verbatim blog and the promise to leave WWE with its most precious commodity it started to bring the Summer of Punk full circle. It’s not Miseria Cantare, but the appearance of Cult of Personality keeps me hopeful that this wonderful story will continue to play out, even if it ends with WWE Champion Jamie Noble.

Or possibly because of that, because then THAT leads to WWE Champion Daniel Bryan. AND THEN MORISHIMA SHOWS UP.

Worst: The Internet Wants You to Take Your Time and Hurry Up

And now we get to the part everyone wants to say. You’ve typed it or seen it typed about a hundred times since last night. I’m paraphrasing.

Punk’s back? Great, I thought they were going to do a great angle and now it’s ruined. Punk says he’s gone forever but comes back in 2 weeks??? that’s worse that when John Cena got fired twice. So now nothing means anything and the heat of the angle is simply embers. They rushed it.

And then something like

Punk should’ve teased coming back before showing up. I can’t believe they ruined it. Meh forever

I’m going to sh** in your cereal for a second. You’re wrong. This is exactly what Punk should’ve done. Here’s why.

Remember that thing I mentioned about Cult of Personality defining Punk? A lot of you are forgetting that no matter how cool he is or how much people cheer for him, CM Punk is the bad guy here. He’s never stopped playing the bad guy, we just like him because he’s so damn fun to listen to. He made a challenge he knew would destruct the Cena/Vince McMahon relationship (destroying the preconception he discussed about Cena being seen as “the best” in his famous promo), then manipulated them both into an unwinnable situation in his hometown in front of his mom and friends so he could win the WWE Championship and “take it away”. But the difference in the ROH storyline and this one is that Punk doesn’t have anywhere to go. There’s no “big leagues” above WWE. Those of you entertaining fantasies of Punk challenging Fire Ant or JT Lightning in the ECW Arena or a Pirate-themed bar in Cleveland are doing just that – entertaining fantasies. Those places don’t pay Punk, and more importantly they don’t give him what he wants the most, the pipe bomb, the microphone, the position of power to trick each and everyone one of you into following him.

Why do you think Punk showed up at Comic-Con? Because he’s “free” from a job he “didn’t want”? It’s basic human psychology. He wants them to beg him to be there, to be noticed, so that when he shows up he can have whatever he wants. That’s the contract he was trying to get McMahon to sign, that Cena ruined. The jet and the ice cream bars. The cult of personality. He wants to be the center of attention because he’s an ASSHOLE WHO IS LYING TO YOU. He’s just awesome, so we cheer. That makes it great. And here’s why it isn’t “rushed”.

Before the pay-per-view, Punk sets up the scenario. The story plays out (as you want it to) until Money in the Bank, where he wins the belt and escapes through the crowd. That’s the point where everybody’s on board. People stop being able to follow it the next week, but it’s easy to break down. Vince McMahon realized he has embarrassed himself by losing the belt to Punk, so he shows up on Raw pretending Punk didn’t exist, putting wrestlers he knows will do what they’re told into a tournament for an identical belt, and everybody goes along with it because Vince is the boss. So that’s obiously the first thing that happens after Punk bails. The tournament happens, and before it’s over Vince positions himself as being “bigger than the WWE” and tries to fire Cena. HHH shows up and says “nobody is bigger than WWE” (the super obvious point they’re making), fires Vince, Cena never gets fired because Vince’s stipulation was egotistical and dumb.

So what’s supposed to happen at that show? A new or “fake” WWE Champion is supposed to be crowned. It doesn’t happen there, but it’s only fair to finish out the tournament, so in week 2 (again, only two shows after Money in the Bank) they have to resolve it. Mysterio beats Miz to win the WWE Championship, which is the end of Vince’s plan. Triple H has to establish power, though, so he sets up his OWN title match, putting the now filled position of WWE Champion against the guy the board of directors (and HHH) felt was mistreated by Vince, Cena. H has to do that right now to show that he’s on Cena’s side, and by proxy the board’s.

Cena vs. Mysterio happens, and Cena wins. Cena is the “WWE Champion”. From here on out things proceed like CM Punk never existed UNLESS CM PUNK SHOWS UP AGAIN. That’s Punk’s game. He either had to

1) Show up when somebody was named WWE Champion, a crown that is rightfully his, or
2) Show up when Cena regained the title, which was frankly inevitable.

So now Punk has created a reality where nobody but him can be the “real” champion. He’s allowed boards of directors and chief operating officers and a tournament full of guys and a backstage full of champagne sprayers and John f**king Cena to go through the motions so he can waltz back in with his ROH theme song and rub their pointlessness in their faces. Because CM Punk is all about CM Punk, and a world is meaningless unless you’ve got people in it doing what you say. Ask God.

Punk wasn’t “rushed back”. From a business standpoint he’s the hottest guy in your company, so you want him on TV. He’s the only way things continue from the Real 1985, not the Rich Biff Tannen fake 1985 Vince was trying to create. It makes perfect sense, and Punk’s not a superhero. He’s not an anti-hero. He’s a cult leader, and instead of Colt Cabana and Daffney, instead of Luke Gallows and Serena, instead of McGillicutty and Otunga, the cult is us. The cult of CM Punk’s personality.

Although I’m sure they’ll screw it up next week.

Tim

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
I agree with about 90% of that article.  Except for the time issue.  I don't think they ruined by doing it so soon, but I think it makes more sense if Punk takes more than a week.  I'm not asking for some played out mega storyline, where he teases it or it doesnt happen until January or some crazy shit.  I'm saying just one month wouldve been better.  Either have Punk show up post-title match at Summerslam, to shit in WWE's big title match spectacle and do exactly what the article said, rub its pointlessness in everyone's face, or even the RAW after, to make sure the focus is all on Cena's paper championship.

As for the song...what kind of MORON wouldn't get that that's the perfect song for Punk?  REALLY?  I didn't even know that Punk switched to that theme after winning the ROH title back in the day, and still, the second that song came on and punk came out...I was like. "Perfect.  The theme is perfect."  Punk's entire WWE career has been around Punk being a cult of personality.  Even his original heel turn was an inverse of it, he saw Jeff Hardy being a tool but people still following him, so he got pissed he wasnt being paid attention to.  Then he forms stables with SES and the Nexus, both which amount to little more than him + minions.  And now this, the ultimate cult of personality, he's taken the WWE universe from Vince/Cena/H, the people who are "supposed" to own it.  How does one NOT get that?  Seriously?

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
It’s not Miseria Cantare

This will always be Punk's theme to me, and he will always take six years to get to the ring.  :P

That... does make sense regarding the Mysterio/Cena match, although it's something where they could have played it however they needed just to fit the more pressing storyline concerns. I didn't watch RAW*, just the highlights, so I don't know if they did more to set it up that way onscreen.

Also: Whenever I've spoken in the past about chancing a feud which isn't about good guy/bad guy, but is two morally grey guys and having to choose which one you side with? THIS STORYLINE RIGHT HERE.

*Before anyone complains about this: I don't own a TV, and it's on in the middle of the night for me.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
Ew. Colon misuse AND I used the grammatically nonsensical shorthand of Rey's name in the same post? You can tell I was tired when I wrote that....

(side note: Colon Misuse is my ninth favourite aggro-gore metal band)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal