Author Topic: summer of PUNK  (Read 2246 times)

Offline styg

• Gladiator
Re: summer of PUNK
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
lol at the inevitable shit I've seen some people saying in the vein of "why don't they just end this angle, it's gone on too long, Punk's stuff is getting stale..."

V

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:08 AM »
the only thing I'd have changed is having Punk defend in ROH and Japan and potentially Canada before now.

as much as I hated Rey having a title match against Cena the same night, they couldn't have waited very much longer without blowing the angle.  and it had to be Cena.

but think of it this way.  we have a (disputed) WWE Champ who'd have a chance at defending in Japan and not looking like a complete joke.

that's... something.

and Divas of Doom... fuck yeah.

they've got my attention, at least.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
Yeah, that probably has me more interested than anything right now, not because other angles are bad but because this one affects something I care about. Although...

As much as I like Natalya and Phoenix, they have two blondes, one of whom dresses in pink and the other of whom wears a pushup corset, complaining about perky blondes. Meanwhile the two dark-haired ones out of the 'proper wrestlers' of the division have quit/been fired. Gotta love that timing.

V

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:45:06 AM »
I don't really care what color their hair is or what they wear.  I care more that their physical threat is primary to either of those things.

If we really want to pop open that old, smelly McMahon controversy though...

How about that Alicia Fox?  She is now the only woman of color in the company.  Unless you count Eve Torres, who I don't really because she's been whitewashed to a Rita Hayworth-like degree.  We'll even make you spraytan-orange like the white girls, Eve!

Meanwhile, Melina got paler and paler, and it still didn't save her.  Haircolor?  Actual ability?  Or just less California-gurlz-Caucasian-beauty-standard features?  This company has a long history of racism and that hasnever been restricted to the women.

Still?  I'll take an angle full of hair bleach if half the angle at least has some physical ability.  Fix this problem we've had for the last decade, sure.  The one that's spanned multiple generations in this company is going to take a bit longer.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 09:09:20 AM »
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that Beth Phoenix shouldn't be pushed just because she's tanned and blonde. I just find it ironic that Gail Kim and Melina go right as they run this angle. No doubt it's coincidence, but it still tickles me.

Regarding colour, there's Layla, although I don't know if she's even been on TV since she split with McCool. Which one might also read as racist, that the Maghreb girl only gets to be important if she's second fiddle to a white blonde, although you could also read that as stocky build vs skinny build, foreign vs American or Not The Undertaker's Wife vs The Undertaker's Wife.

AJ Lee is... I dunno, but she's definitely mixed race. I think Rosa Mendes is too?

I used to think AJ was beautiful when she was in WSU and FCW. Now she just looks like an overproduced model, spray on tan and too much makeup. Meanwhile the commentators tell us her schtick is that she's a nerd who loves comic books and videogames; if the only way a gimmick or personality is conveyed is through the commentators stating it, something ain't right. Given that she's never on the mic, and looks exactly like every other diva, where is she supposed to show this? Maybe she could do superhero-influenced taunts or use the hadouken as a signature move, but ya know, something tells me she wouldn't get away with it. It's like how they push Eve as a high flier because she does a moonsault.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal