Poll

Not necessarily a weight-class title, but perhaps a mid-tier title that keeps the Circuit Championship as the big one. Should we add another title?

No, that's stupid.
5 (31.3%)
Yes, more gold is awesome!
5 (31.3%)
Go back to weight class belts!
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 16, 2011, 11:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Bring Back Another Title  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
Bring Back Another Title
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
Let me know what you think. Weight class belts? Just a lower ranking belt? What do you think?

V

Re: Bring Back Another Title
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »
Don't like a 'lower-ranking belt' because we're not a wrestling-format efed so I think it interrupts the vale-tudo mma feel.

I went with weight class, though I dunno if we should have three separate belts...  :P  I could see two?

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Gladiator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:01:45 PM »
Kore said pretty much what I said. I think 2 belts are plenty for now. If down the road we need the third one back then we can do that.

Alternatively to weight class, you could have a men's and women's class belt. That certainly occurs in boxing/mma.

V

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
not reeeeally gonna comment on that too much because i'm aware i'm biased... all i'll say is that if it encourages booking to hone in on booking m/m and f/f, it's gonna get old fast to me-- just like it does in regular efedding.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
i'm thinking maybe a light-heavyweight belt or something of that nature

Emma MacNamara

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 12:24:32 AM »
Another belt would give something for us that aren't quite there yet to aim for. While they aren't what most of us aim for, it's something to aim towards. But definitely not a "midcard" thing, that's very much a wrestling thing...

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:04:27 AM »
Oh boy, weight/gender divisions in feds. Some of you know how I feel about this. I'll try and keep this on topic.

First off, Unleashed has always been relatively thin on heavyweights compared to light heavyweights and below, so that would be my big concern there. Maybe it'd be better to drop the cutoff point down a bit, to say 180 or 190lbs.

Second, if it's weight/gender based, both titles need to be considered of equal value or interest in one starts to wane after a while (I realise that might contradict my previous point). The women's title or light title needs to get main events. I have every faith in Lisa's ability to book this way, just saying it's an important thing to remember with such things.

Really though the thing is, I'm not sure how much Unleashed needs a secondary title. Hell, I don't think we even need a main title, except as a plot device.

Taking a leaf from MMA, rather than another title, if there was going to be some sort of additional accolade to shoot for, what about one off tournaments?

EDIT: For a 'midcard' style title, rather than something wrestling-esque and Intercontinentally, I could maybe see it working as some kind of probationary championship whereby new characters fight within their own separate undercard circle with its own title, and once they're deemed ready, they graduate to the uppercard where they compete towards the big one. Again, that comes with its own logistical questions, but it's another option.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:08:35 AM by styg »

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Gladiator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 03:37:38 AM »
Styg makes some very good points. When we created Unleashed, we had three weight divisions and three titles. It was a little overkill. I never really thought of them as belts, anyway. Simply, that person is champion of that division, or as the case is now, the champion of Unleashed, and occasionally they are challenged.

I would love to do just tournaments, but it would take some effort to figure out a way to do it without excluding newcomers and allowing people to continue having fights after they are eliminated.

The way Bellator does their tournements, is each weight division has 8 fighters. They fight through three rounds, ending in a champion being crowned, which basically amounts to a big payday for that person.

What we could do is, every few events, make that event a standalone tournament. If we have eight fighters, they fight, then the four winners, fight, then the two winners, and at the end one is left standing after a bloody, terrible night. I don't think Lisa would want to do this every event, though.

Blitzkrieger

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 03:30:32 PM »
I was thinking perhaps a middle-card title.

I got nothing else :-/

CHINasty

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:56 PM »
I think two weight classes would be a good idea, of course one person can still fight in the two divisions while only the heavy doesn't drop down.

Tim

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »
Okay...I've stayed quiet until now, but I'll weigh in.

My opinion?  ...Why?

Seriously.  Why?  This place isn't really about titles.  If you're here for accolades or whatever you're probably here for the wrong reasons.  The one title is a nice way to reward writers who have been having a good run recently and sort of indicate to them that they're doing a good job.  But that's it really.

The point of this place is the RP's and the individual stories.  The matches just kind of there to keep the universe glued together, and none of us ever even use the fact we are/have been circuit champions in our rp's.  So I just don't see the point of artificially implementing another championship, whether by weight class or otherwise.

And while I know this place is often considered to be under an MMA style.  To me, with the setting and stories, it feels more like a crime/pulp fiction universe.  In my head, when I'm not reading results, I imagine the fights more like an action flick, unrealistic but cool, etc.  But that's probably just me.  Still ,that perception sort of makes the idea of titles even less relevant in my mind.

Just my 2 cents.  Take it, leave it, or pass it on.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »
The idea of titles was simple to play with that aspect of the game... the whole "reward" for doing a good job.... in which adding another belt would come into play. The proverbial carrot. I know most of us don't really give a crap about that and are more interested in writing the stories.

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Gladiator
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
My final opinion is thus:

I think a weight class belt is the only way to add a second belt. That said, I prefer to not have belts at all. Currently, we have one person who is declared "Circuit Champion", something that should be in name only. That person gets benefits the other characters do not (I sort of hinted at that in one of my Blackbird chapters). The Champion, IMO, should be the Russians' pet fighter. That is until another fighter catches their interest and they try and screw the current champion out of the top spot. Why? Because the whole point, in character, is to make more money. The longer a guy is in the top spot, the less gambling profits are made because everyone starts to bet on that guy.

I think a good idea would be to re-work the championship page, ditch the way it is currently written and instead make it a rankings page. The in-character ranking could be based on the amount of money they bring in. Out of character, it isn't so much based on record as just general spot in fed. This would give someone who isn't necessarily ready to be at the top to have a goal. Maybe they are ranked 11th. If they one or two fights, maybe they crack the top ten. That is a much easier goal to accomplish than just flat out aiming for the top.

Anyway, there you go.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »
Definitely dig that idea. Can move the rankings off the roster page to the champs page... we'll chat more about this next time you're on MSN, Mike.

Tim

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:04:58 PM »
I love the idea of making a rankings page based on drawn money, since that is what will concern the Russian's most.  The only question is whether to make up numbers and rank people based on perceived standing in the circuit according to staff or create some sort of formula that would incorporate more than just straight records and give us some sort of objective numbers system.  Either way, it's a bit of extra work, but it would be an awesome touch.

So I like that idea.  Bonus points for Mike.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal