Poll

Not necessarily a weight-class title, but perhaps a mid-tier title that keeps the Circuit Championship as the big one. Should we add another title?

No, that's stupid.
5 (31.3%)
Yes, more gold is awesome!
5 (31.3%)
Go back to weight class belts!
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 16, 2011, 11:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Bring Back Another Title  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
Re: Bring Back Another Title
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Working on a formula for it.

Offline Sinnybuns/Mika

• Staff
  • Legendary Fighter
    • Valkyrie Chainmail
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »
Dude, I fucking love Mike's idea.  :D 

"Beauty is only skin-deep...ugly goes down to the bone."

CHINasty

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 10:04:20 PM »
It is a nice one.

V

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »
hm.  in 21 we used to do points awarded for your individual piece, then averaged against your recent past.  *nods*  not that i'm saying anybody should care, particularly, just... something kinda similar worked for years for us, so it's possible?

and yeah, i like the idea, after having read it.  i think i do like the one "champion" put like that, it makes it feel more like a free-for-all, and the idea of being in the Russians' good graces is more motivating to both of my fighters mentally.  wouldn't normally count V in a conversation like this as he doesn't care about titles and i realized recently trying to write a bio that i don't even know how many titles he's had or their names anymore... but as much as a title makes Lilah perk, i think being favored by those running the Circuit and being bet on perks her more.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 08:59:24 AM »
Even pushes storytelling in other directions. Dale wants to win and do well, yet at the same time he wants to stay under the radar. Suddenly finding himself the bosses' pet project is something he definitely wouldn't want so that adds intrigue in a way a regular title wouldn't. And I can't imagine he's the only fighter who feels that way.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »
Alex Collins would feel the same way.

CHINasty

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 01:58:34 PM »
I honestly think championships, titles and rankings should play more of a role in things. Yea, we're here to write but this is still set up in a competitive atmosphere where 2 people go head to head in and out of character.

V

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
head to head out of character?

yeah, except for that part where most of us work together out of character to do cooler shit in the big picture.  and that when it comes to caring about individual wins and losses i think i know more writers here who want to lose for the sake of their plots.

few of the characters even have in-character grudges.

we should really have a sign on the door here saying WARNING: THIS IS NOT AN EFED IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A STANDARD EFED ATMOSPHERE ALLOW ME TO DIRECT YOU TO CWCVERSE OR SOMETHING.

whether it's pro wrestling or e-wrestling, at the end of the day the belt is still a prop.  it may push green kids to improve, but really, if you're dull and can't carry a story without a belt then you'll probably still be dull and unable to carry a story with the addition of one.  for examples, see Jack Thhhhhwagga.

i think i do better in this format of writing just because it imposes deadlines, honestly.  on competition... well... i like looking at the win/loss/draw records?  i think that's about all i got anymore, but maybe that's a personal problem i should talk to somebody about.

CHINasty

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Yer set in a fight against someone else. Why wouldn't you try to win?

Tim

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
I honestly think championships, titles and rankings should play more of a role in things. Yea, we're here to write but this is still set up in a competitive atmosphere where 2 people go head to head in and out of character.

That's not the point here though.  I mean, you can consider your w/l record feedback on your writing, but we're not really trying to one up each other here.  A lot of us are trying to write the best stuff we can so we all can engaged in each others stories and immersed in the world.

It's more like an RPG without stats than an efed, really.

CHINasty

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:18 PM »
I see yer point and this is why I like this place. But, if it weren't meant to be competitive in any concept then why is it centered around a fight between two individuals?

Tim

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »
Yer set in a fight against someone else. Why wouldn't you try to win?

Storytelling.  For example:

Lilah was supposed to be a complete rookie at the beginning of this, so her winning all the time because Kore is a great writer was a story issue.  How does this total newb keep beating hardened fighters?  Well, we fumbled with it a bit and made sure she won matches because her opponents made mistakes or made it clear in her fighting that she was inexperienced.  

Or also for example,

A long time ago, talking about a year or so here, my character was in The Circuit against his own will.  Now, in the story, I needed him to lose a match so that the repercussions of him losing while the man "sponsoring" him (read: forcing him to fight by threatening to kill his boyfriend) still had control.  Now, I ended up getting beat before it was an issue, but if that didnt happen, I wouldve asked for a loss to demonstrate that aspect of the story.

Tim

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
I see yer point and this is why I like this place. But, if it weren't meant to be competitive in any concept then why is it centered around a fight between two individuals?

Well, one, convenient world building.  It's the environment these characters exist in and that drives story.  Two, when this place started, a lot of people were coming from efeds and the set-up was an easy way to transition them since they were familiar with the structure, and three, like I said earlier, OOC, winning and losing is a good way of gauging how your readers feel about your work, and that's more of a cumulative thing.  One loss might not be a big deal, but if you're 1-4 you might want to consider changing things up or asking for feedback, etc.

V

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »
because the characters are fighters?

because in a general way it's fun to match writing pieces up and see who comes out, even if there isn't that intense strive-to-win shit you get in efeds?  i've used the phrase "competitive creative writing game" for this place before.

i think... it's nice to win, but it's not the point of it for most of us anymore?

win/loss stats are nice to keep up, but even then... whether you win or lose depends on who you're booked against.  an almost-even win/loss after taking on Lisa, Tim, Joyce, and Mike regularly would mean a lot more to me than a 1000/3 stat from having a string of bottom-card bookings against noshowing flakes?

why am i ending all my sentences with question marks?  have i already moved to Australia and just don't realise it yet?  the heck?

CHINasty

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »
lol

Well yea, I can see taking a loss if you're working an angle and want to lose. But, what if someone wants to do the best they can to see if they can be the best on the block, how does that work? I know this place is different from your average E-Fed, that's why I'm here. I honestly like the set up of underground fighting but can anyone here seriously say they don't want to win or at least try their best to? If I were in a match and it was planned for me to lose then I'd be cool if I knew about it up front. But if it were to happen when I was actually trying to win without knowing the outcome then I'd be a lil' upset. Back to the point tho. I think another title would be good for the place. Gives people more options to base their story off of.

Either way, I finally believe I'm ready to commit to this place fulltime. I've had my eye on this place from its start. I'm more than happy to work with you all for the greater outcome of an overall story but being competitive also drives me to write better.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal