Poll

Not necessarily a weight-class title, but perhaps a mid-tier title that keeps the Circuit Championship as the big one. Should we add another title?

No, that's stupid.
5 (31.3%)
Yes, more gold is awesome!
5 (31.3%)
Go back to weight class belts!
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: July 16, 2011, 11:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Bring Back Another Title  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Gladiator
Re: Bring Back Another Title
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »
Carter, I think you are misunderstanding what they mean. In-Character, sure, most of these characters want to win. Their motivations are their own. Out of character, it is a little bit different. Do I like winning? Sure, it means on that given event, the judges decided that what I wrote was marginally better than my competition. However, more often than not, the decision between who wins and loses is so close that it can literally go either way. We all have our own stories going. Our motivation is continuing those stories. The fights are simply the universe that holds those stories together.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
And we've angled a fight what... NEVER in more than two years? Pretty sure that's the number of times.

In character, some of my guys want to win. Jackson, for example, because he is obsessed with that.

Collins, however, would rather beat the shit out of someone, get paid, and vanish back in the shadows until the next time his fight ticket is called. Depends on your story. That's what makes this unique.

But we still have a belt to satisfy those who want to go for that. And once this rp cycle is done, we will have more detailed rankings that will play out the money aspect a bit better for those who care.

Offline styg

• Gladiator
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
From personal experience... the reason I signed a guy here was because his backstory, as I had it in my head from the point of him starting a 'traditional' wrestling or MMA fed, saw him as an underground fighter who'd tried to get out the game, failed, got injured which upset some very nasty people who had invested money in him, and they forced him to turn professional when he recovered. I could have just written that crap into his bio when I joined a fed... OR I could start him here, actually play out his backstory, and get a better grip on the character's mindset while seeing what directions the story went in of its own accord. He won some, he lost some. That was cool - it was fodder for my next roleplay, feeding whether or not he felt like he should be in the Circuit. I know some members here were a bit like, "WTF, this guy's actually referencing his last fight or his next opponent," but it was right for Dale's story even though it might not have been for other people's.

Similarly. V injuring Mark Chapman has made it into the canon of mine and Leese's wrestling fed (although V is an 'unknown assailant,' lol) where Mark is a fighter on their books. It's been referenced on TV and everything. That roleplay wasn't even a competitive piece, it was 'only' a CD, but it's had impact not just here but in a whole different fed. That's why this place is great: it's a true shared story. Both competitive and collaborative storytelling have been around a lot longer than the internet or pro wrestling, after all.

By the way... if the IC owners/backers/associated villains of the circuit ever decide to make an "above board" (cough cough, honest guv) and openly publicised company as another revenue source, Dale is SO there*.

*Even though he doesn't want to be.

CHINasty

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »
Has the idea of having weight divisions been turned down for good? Makes more since and realistic to do fights in weight divisions.

Offline Jackson

• The Mechanical Animal
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Fighter
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:14 PM »
Has the idea of having weight divisions been turned down for good? Makes more since and realistic to do fights in weight divisions.

And is VERY limiting match wise when we have this many people playing. Realistically, in the terms of the game, the people watching these fights don't care if Jackson faces Theo Janes or Sinn, because either way it's a fight to the finish that they can bet on. This isn't a system like UFC where that sort of thing matters.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 09:48:48 PM by Jackson »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal